A Texas man who allegedly disappeared eight years ago as a teenager was never really missing and had been living with his mother almost the whole time, police have said.
Rudy Farias made international headlines over the weekend when it was reported he had been “located safe” in Houston after going missing in March 2015 when he was 17.
His mother, Janie Santana, said at the time that her son was “receiving the care he needs to overcome his trauma, but at this time, he is nonverbal and not able to communicate with us”.
However, police in Houston have now said he actually came home one day later.
The teenager, now aged 25, was seen by many people coming and going from the house over the years. But Santana identified him as a nephew, police said.
Lieutenant Christopher Zamora, of Houston police, told reporters Farias “was not missing during the eight-year period”.
“In fact, both Rudy’s mother and Rudy himself gave fictitious names while interacting with various patrol officers,” he said.
“After investigators talked with him yesterday, it was discovered that he returned home the following day.
“The mother, Janie, continued to deceive police by remaining adamant that Rudy was still missing.”
Local prosecutors have, so far, declined to press a case against the mother or son, and police did not offer a motive for the pair’s actions.
Houston police chief Troy Finner declined to answer questions about the mental health of Farias or his mother and said police were “right at the beginning” of their investigation into what happened.
The announcement came a week after police said they had found Farias after receiving a call about a person lying on the ground in front of a southeast Houston church.
After being found, Farias was taken to hospital before detectives interviewed him and Santana on Wednesday.
Written by: Newsroom