Mason Greenwood will not play for Manchester United after an attempted rape charge against him was dropped earlier this year.
In a statement the club said: “All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.
“It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”
The club added that after its internal investigation “the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged”.
In 2022 a woman posted a video on social media in which she is bruised and bleeding, claiming she was attacked by the footballer.
In the video a man, said to be Greenwood, shouts at his alleged victim to “move your f****** legs up”.
The woman replies that she does not want to have sex.
The man responds: “I don’t give a f*** what you want, you little s***.”
The forward was charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour in October 2022. He was initially arrested in January that year.
In February 2023 the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had a “duty to stop the case” following the “withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light”.
Those developments meant there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction” and led to the decision by the CPS to discontinue prosecution and drop the charges against Greenwood.
In a statement this afternoon Greenwood, 21, said: “I fully accept I made mistakes… and I take my share of responsibility”.
He has always denied any criminal charges.
Greenwood called the decision to not play for the team a “collaborative” one between Manchester United and him and his family.
Last week the club said they were working “through the final stages” of their internal investigation into Greenwood, having completed the “fact-finding phase”.
Richard Arnold, Manchester United’s CEO, said the club’s investigation “sought to collate as much evidence as possible to establish facts and context”.
In an open letter to fans on Monday, he said timings had been “influenced by my desire to minimise the impact of the investigation on our men’s and women’s teams, as well as our Lionesses”.
Mr Arnold said the investigation “led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with”.
He said: “While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason’s accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for.”
Protests have been held at the start of the new season, with some fans threatening to withdraw their support for United if the club reintegrates Greenwood into the team.
Among them is well-known supporter and Countdown presenter Rachel Riley.
She said she wouldn’t be able to remain a fan if Greenwood stays at United.
Written by: Newsroom