The Scottish SPCA is warning pet owners in Forfar to be vigilant after at least five cats died of suspected poisoning.
The animal welfare charity said the incidents occurred in the Threewells Drive area of the Angus town throughout December.
The charity said it had been made directly aware of five deaths, with an additional two reported but with no details.
The Scottish SPCA said each of the cats had shown symptoms associated with poisoning.
These included a lack of coordination, vomiting, dilated eyes and dehydration – as well as the animals being cold, lethargic, and suffering fits.
Police Scotland said the Scottish SPCA has liaised with local officers regarding the suspected poisonings, but no formal report has yet been made to the force.
Alastair Adams, acting chief inspector of the Scottish SPCA, said: “Using poison, or any dangerous item, with the intent of deliberately harming animals is a crime and is enforceable by law.
“We would urge all pet owners to be vigilant in the Threewells Drive area.
“If your pet shows any signs that they may have been poisoned, take them to the vet immediately.”
Written by: Newsroom