News

Two Israeli hostages rescued from captivity in Gaza in ‘stable condition’

todayFebruary 12, 2024 2

Background
share close
Two Israeli hostages rescued from captivity in Gaza in ‘stable condition’

Two Israeli hostages have been rescued from captivity during a raid by special forces in Rafah in southern Gaza, the Israeli military has said.

The army named them as Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Louis Har, 70, both taken from Kibbutz Nir Yizhak in the 7 October Hamas attacks.

They were rescued from a residential building in a raid that also killed at least seven people, according to Palestinian officials.

Middle East latest: Follow live updates

Witnesses reported at least 17 airstrikes, flares and Apache helicopter fire.

Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Louis Har, 70. Pic: Israel Defence Forces

Image:
Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Louis Har, 70. Pic: Israel Defence Forces

Israeli military spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Richard Hecht said the operation was based on “precise intelligence”, and the site, located on the second floor of a building, had been watched for “some time”.

Both the rescued hostages were airlifted to Sheba Hospital in central Israel and are said to be in good medical condition.

In this photo provided by the Israeli military, shows an Israeli Air Force helicopter carrying two released hostages, at Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan, Israel, Monday, Feb, 12. 2024. The Israeli military said early Monday that it had rescued two hostages from captivity in the Gaza Strip. It said the two men were rescued in the southern Gaza town of Rafah and were in good condition at an Israeli hospital. (Israel Defense Forces via AP)

Image:
Israeli Air Force helicopter carrying the two hostages. Pic: Israel Defence Forces

Dr Yael Frenkel Nir, deputy director Sheba Medical Centre, told journalists: “I am very excited this morning, we received news three hours ago of the arrival of two returnees by helicopter to us at Sheba.

“Their condition seems good. We are at a preliminary evaluation and testing them regarding their condition, and due to lengthy time in captivity more tests are expected in the coming two days.”

Idan Bergerano, Mr Har’s son-in-law, told Israel’s Channel 13 TV that he and his wife were able to see the two men at the hospital.

Members of the Palestinian Civil Defence work at the site of Israeli strikes, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip February 12, 2024. Palestinian Civil Defence/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES.

Image:
Members of the Palestinian Civil Defence work at the site of Israeli strikes. Pic: Palestinian Civil Defence

A member of the Palestinian Civil Defence works at the site of Israeli strikes, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip February 12, 2024. Palestinian Civil Defence/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Image:
Pic: Palestinian Civil Defence

He said both were thin and pale, but communicating well and aware of their surroundings.

Mr Marman and Mr Har are the second and third hostages to be rescued safely. A female soldier was rescued in October.

Read more:
Israel warned of repercussions
Girl, 6, found dead after pleading to be rescued
Eyewitness: Inside a network of tunnels in Gaza

Israel says about 100 hostages remain in Hamas captivity.

It comes after a series of Israeli strikes hit Rafah this morning, despite warnings from US President Joe Biden not to conduct a military operation in the Gaza border town without a plan to protect civilians.

A Palestinian wounded in an Israeli strike is rushed into a hospital, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, February 12, 2024. REUTERS/Shadi Tabatibi

Image:
A Palestinian wounded after Rafah strikes. Pic: Reuters

The Israeli military said it struck “terror targets in the area of Shaboura”, a district in Rafah.

The military statement said the series of strikes had concluded, without elaborating on the targets or assessing the potential damage or casualties.

Local health officials in Rafah said at least 37 people were killed.

Written by: Newsroom

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


0%