Man rescued from collapsed building after five days

todayMay 11, 2024 2

share close
Man rescued from collapsed building after five days

A man has been rescued from a collapsed building in South Africa after five days trapped in the rubble.

His recovery was described as “nothing short of a miracle” by Western Cape premier Alan Winde.

When the five-storey structure in the city of George collapsed on Monday there were 81 people on the construction site.

Of those, 13 have been confirmed dead, 29 have survived and 39 remain unaccounted for, officials said.

Rescuers have been using cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped on South Africa’s southern coast.


This content is provided by X, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable X cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.

Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to X cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow X cookies for this session only.

In a post on X containing video footage of the survivor being pulled from the wreckage, Mr Winde said the man had been “successfully extracted from the debris after more than 116 hours”.

He added: “This is nothing short of a miracle – thank you to all the search and rescue teams!”

Read more:
Inside a town being flattened in a Russian offensive
Hundreds of protesters attempt to storm Tesla factory

Rescue workers at the site in George, east of Cape Town. Pic: Reuters

Rescue workers at the site in George, east of Cape Town. Pic: Reuters

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Earlier in the week, more than 100 emergency staff and other responders worked through the night using sniffer dogs and spotlights.

There were fears huge slabs of concrete had fallen on to construction workers, and large cranes and other heavy lifting equipment were brought in to remove some of the debris.

Pictures from a drone camera showed a flattened construction site, with parts of the building’s roof lying on top of the rubble.

Written by: Newsroom

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *